Gautam Buddha (c. 5th-4th century BCE), also known as Buddha Shakyamuni was a spiritual guide and religious figure of Ancient Indian history.
Table of Contents
Life of Gautam Buddha
- Gautam Buddha was born in Shakya Kshatriya family in Lumbini near Kapilavastu (located in Nepal).
- His father’s name was Shuddhodhan, who belonged to the Shakya dynasty.
- His mother’s name was Mayadevi, who belonged to the Koliyan clan.
- Vaishali (Bihar) was the Buddha’s last rainy season residence.
- Gautam Buddha died in 483 BC at Kushinagar (the capital city of Malla Kingdom).
Enlightenment of Buddha
- Buddha received enlightenment in Bodhgaya (Bihar) under the Peepal tree, near the Niranjan River.
- Buddha believes in Karma and rebirth.
- He didn’t believe in the existence of God and his power.
Teachings of Buddha
- Mahaprajapati Gautami was the first women to receive Buddhas teachings.
- Subhaddha was the last person to get enlightenment from Buddha.
Some important facts about Buddha
- Source: Ashoka’s Rummindei Pillar inscription (also known as Lumbini pillar inscription) gives information about the birthplace of Buddha. According to it, Buddha was born in Lumbini, Nepal.
- Buddha gave his maximum sermon at Shravasti.
- “Light of Asia is a book by Sir Edwin Arnold. Buddha is known as the Light of Asia.
- The Statue of Budhha was the first human statue to be worshipped in India.