- Endogamy is a marriage within the same group to which we belong to.
- Examples – Jews, Polynesians, French Canadians and etc.
- Exogamy is marriage outside the group.
- Example – Gotra exogamy – North Indian Hindu kinship does not marry their brothers and sisters. It is based on lineage.
- Marriage in which a person married to only one person at a particular time.
- Polygamy is a marriage in which one husband have many wives.
- Polygamy is a marriage in which one wife have many husbands.
- Hypergamy or Anuloma is a marriage in which a girl marries a boy of a higher status/higher caste (varna). Example – Brahmin male marrying to vaishya female.
- Prevalent in Hindu society
- Dowry system came into being
Hypogamy is a marriage in which a girl marry a boy of lower status/caste.